This is something we all have to deal with, or have dealt with, at some point. It’s exciting to start a new job, but you want to make sure you start off right, don’t you? After all, so often how you start is a precursor for how your career will go.
It’s easy to join (here are my tips on joining a Twitter chat, if you haven’t done one before), and if you’re looking for an extra boost of confidence along with that new paycheck, I highly recommend you join in.
Among other things, we’ll (yes, I’ll be there too, since I’m a HAPPO Champion) be discussing:
- What is the hardest thing about being the newest employee in your company/department?
- Should you use social media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook) to connect with new colleagues (and please, if you have a protected Twitter profile, now would be a really good time to make it public)? How about leadership?
- What steps should you take to manage your image internally?
- What do you do if the reality of the job you took doesn’t match the position you applied for?
- What are some red flags that may signal the job is not working out?
- What steps can you take to “help out” the new guy/gal on the team?
I’ve always found chats fun, and Arik and Valerie have built a terrific community around HAPPO. So do join in. Even if you’re not a newbie at your job, your experience and words of wisdom could help countless others.
Remember: 8-9 pm CT, and join by including the #HAPPO hashtag with all your tweets (make sure you’re following Arik, Valerie and the official @helpaprproout Twitter handle).
See you then!